While clearing/cleaning my desk this morning, I came across a scrap sheet of paper that I had been writing notes on all last week for yesterday morning’s message. I knew I had written some things down!
Since I neglected to include them yesterday, here they are for today. First, here are some important principles:
- Never compare yourself with others; always compare yourself with God.
- Do not act according to what is deserved; act according to what is right and needed.
- My attitude and response must be controlled by love, not hate.
Second, I did a quick survey of what the NT has to say about “what Christian love should look like,” and came up with the following:
- Devotion, Rom 12:10
- Preference for others, 12:10
- Meeting pressing needs, 12:13
- Mutual rejoicing/sorrow, 12:15
- No pride, 12:16
- No vengeful spirit, 12:17, 19
- Peace, 12:18
- Edify, 14:19; 15:2
- Please, 15:2-3
- Acceptance, 15:7
- 1 Cor 13:4-7
- Bear burdens, Gal 6:2
- Do good to all, 6:10
- Be tolerant of each other, Eph 4:2
- Edifying speech, 4:29
- No bitterness or grudges, 4:31
- Forgiveness, 4:32
- No selfishness, Phil 2:3
- Humility, 2:3
- Self-sacrificing love, 2:4-8
- Live in harmony, 4:2
- Don’t lie, Col 3:9
- Compassionate, 3:12
- Kind, 3:12
- Gentle, 3:12
- Patient, 3:12
- Encourage, Heb 3:13
- Care for needy, Jas 1:27
- No distinctions or prejudices, 2:1-13
- No cursing but blessing, 3:9-10
That’s quite a list! As you read it, keep the first principle mentioned above in mind!
THANKS! Blain has been having a very hard time working for a VERY difficult man. The guy Blain’s working with and Blain have been reading and praying at every break, to help them be more Christ-like, keep a good attitude, and not react in anger or hurt. I’m going to give this to them. I’m sure it will help!