- Never neglect daily private prayer; and when you pray, remember that God is present, and that He hears your prayers (Heb. 11:6).
- Never neglect daily private Bible reading; and when you read remember that God is speaking to you, and that you are to believe and act upon what He says. I believe all backsliding begins with the neglect of these two rules (John 5:39).
- Never let a day pass without trying to do something for Jesus. Every night reflect on what Jesus has done for you, and then ask yourself, “What am I doing for Him?” (Matt 5:13-16)
- If you are in doubt as to a thing being right or wrong, go to your room and kneel down and ask God’s blessing on it (Col. 3:17). If you cannot do this, it is wrong (Rom 16:23).
- Never take your Christianity from Christians, or argue that because such and such people do so and so, therefore, you may. (2 Cor. 10:12). You are to ask yourself, “How would Christ act in my place?” and strive to follow Him (John 10:27)
- Never believe what you feel, if it contradicts God’s Word. Ask yourself, “Can what I feel be true if God’s Word is true?” And if BOTH cannot be true, believe God and make your own heart the liar (Rom 3:4; 1 John 5:10-11).
Brownlow North (1810-1875)